Carnarvon Visitor Information
Carnarvon is a coastal town located in the Gascoyne region of Western Australia. The town is known for its beautiful beaches, natural attractions, and historical significance. Carnarvon is home to a friendly local community, making it an ideal vacation destination for families, couples, and solo travelers.
Things to Do and See
- Carnarvon Space and Technology Museum: This museum is a must-visit attraction for anyone interested in space and astronomy. The museum houses an impressive collection of space artifacts and relics, including those related to the Apollo missions.
- Carnarvon Blowholes: These natural wonders are a short drive from town and are definitely worth a visit. The blowholes shoot water up to 20 meters into the air, creating an awe-inspiring display of nature's power.
- One Mile Jetty: This historical landmark is a favorite among visitors to Carnarvon. The jetty is over a century old and is the longest jetty in the Gascoyne region, measuring 1.5 kilometers in length. Walk along the jetty to enjoy the stunning views of the ocean and the town.
- Pelican Point: Located at the mouth of the Gascoyne River, Pelican Point is a great spot for fishing, birdwatching, or just enjoying the sunset. The pelicans that inhabit the area are always a hit with kids.
Getting There and Around
Carnarvon is located about 900 kilometers from Perth, and the nearest major town is Geraldton, which is about 400 kilometers away. The town has its own airport, though flights are limited, and the most convenient way to reach Carnarvon is by car. Once you arrive in Carnarvon, you can explore the sights on foot, or rent a car to travel further afield.
Where to Stay
Carnarvon has a range of accommodation options to suit any budget, including hotels, motels, caravan parks, and vacation rentals. Some popular options include:
- Carnarvon Motel WA: Clean and comfortable rooms at an affordable price.
- Gwoonwardu Mia – Aboriginal Cultural Centre: A unique experience to learn about Aboriginal culture with accommodation options.
- Wintersun Caravan and Tourist Park: A great option for travelers on a budget who enjoy camping and caravanning..
Carnarvon is a wonderful destination for those seeking a mix of history, nature, and relaxation. With its stunning beaches, fascinating museums, and natural wonders, there's something to suit every interest. Come and discover this hidden gem on the Western Australian coast.